The ASCE INSPIRE conference committee invites proposals for podium presentations, posters, panel discussions, and full sessions from infrastructure owners, academia, practitioners, federal agencies, state agencies, and other interested entities to share their research, case studies, and best practices to plan, design, and deliver more resilient and more sustainable infrastructure systems to help our communities adapt.
The deadline for submissions is January 13, 2023.
Types of Presentations
- Panel Session: Multi-disciplinary teams discuss, debate, or present knowledge in an engaging way with the audience. (1 per 90-minute sessions)
- Panel Session & Paper Submission: Multi-disciplinary teams discuss, debate, or present knowledge in an engaging way with the audience; with a paper submission (all papers will be peer reviewed before being accepted by the conference proceedings Technical Editors) (1 per 90-minute sessions)
- Full Session: Create a 90-minute session around a theme or topic with 4 to 5 different presentations (4-5 presentations/papers per 90 minutes session)
- Full Session & Paper Submission: Create a 90-minute session around a theme or topic with 4 to 5 different presentations; with a paper submission (all papers will be peer reviewed before being accepted by the conference proceedings Technical Editors) (4-5 presentations/papers per 90 minutes session)
- Individual Technical Presentation: Present a single subject or case study to an assigned technical session (15-minute presentation)
- Individual Technical Presentation & Paper Submission: Present a single subject or case study to an assigned technical session; with a paper submission (all papers will be peer reviewed before being accepted by the conference proceedings Technical Editors) (15-minute presentation)
- Poster: Offer a single subject or case study
- Poster & Paper Submission: Offer a single subject or case study; with a paper submission (all papers will be peer reviewed before being accepted by the conference proceedings Technical Editors)
Each proposal should include the proposal type, title, proposers/names/affiliations/credentials/professional email address (with a point of contact) and abstract (not to exceed 500 words). In case of panels/sessions, please provide a list of presentations (titles and authors confirmed).
ASCE INSPIRE 2023 Submission Topics
- Using climate change as design inputs for a climate-ready nation
- Uncertainty and modeling for climate change-related design
- Future-proofing and design for projected climate and changing land use
- Ethical considerations of climate change in design
- Climate related hazards
- Storm surge and sea level rise
- Temperature and precipitation changes including flooding
Energy Efficiency & Power Production
- Energy system resilience
- Wind, solar, nuclear, hydrogen, geothermal, and future oil & gas development
- Energy-Water Nexus
Emerging Technologies for Resilient & Sustainable Infrastructure
- Innovation in civil engineering practice
- Modern technologies for changing conditions: observational and adaptive planning and design methods
- Research to support sustainable climate resilience
- Cyber-physical systems and cyber-security of critical infrastructure
- Computational models and data-driven approaches for adaptive infrastructure systems
Infrastructure Financing, Risk Management & Disaster Mitigation
- Economic systems
- Disaster mitigation, response, and recovery
- Functional recovery for resilient communities
- Response, recovery, and reconstruction of lifeline systems
- Adaptive risk management and uncertainty assessment
- Circular Economy, Material Reuse, Green Procurement
- Net zero waste and waste minimization solutions
- Environmental Product Declarations (EPDs)
- Resource utilization
Measuring & Maintaining Sustainable & Resilient Infrastructure
- Performance objectives and metrics
- Planning and Design Standards
- ENVISION Framework
- Triple Bottom Line Evaluations
- Infrastructure Interdependence
- Engineering with nature
- Biodiversity in civil engineering design
Public Policies & Government Action
- Community and regional modeling to inform policy
- Regulatory barriers to changing practice
- Public works operations (design, construction, and maintenance)
- Government agency operations and facilities maintenance
- Policies/Specifications for construction in local jurisdictions
Resilient Infrastructure Systems
- Characteristics, analysis, and design
- Networked/distributed systems resilience
- Energy, water and cyber related systems
- Consideration of non-stationarity in design practices
Social Justice, Ethics, Equity & Health
- Cascading impacts on communities experiencing extremes
- Sociotechnical modeling and considerations
- Stakeholder engagement
- Workforce development
- Community engagement
- Decarbonization/Carbon Emissions
- Life-Cycle Analysis
- Sustainable Procurement
Sustainable Future through Global Engagement
- Implementing UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Other – Interdisciplinary or discipline-specific sustainability, resilient, climate, or energy-focused topic within transportation, water, geotechnical, construction, structural, utilities, etc.
- Abstracts must be between 300 to 500 words.
- Abstracts must identify the Topic to which the paper is being submitted.
- Abstracts must include the full formal names, credentials, affiliations and email addresses for all authors.
- Abstracts must be uploaded to the online Paper Submission System.
- Abstracts are due by January 13, 2023.
Expectations of All ASCE INSPIRE Presenters
Presenters are responsible for all registration and travel expenses. Every presenter accepted for presentation is expected to have one author attend the conference.
All presenters must be registered by the speaker registration deadline of July 10, 2023.
Papers are optional for all session and presentation types. When you submit an abstract, please indicate if you intend to submit a paper for inclusion in the conference proceedings. Your abstract must be accepted for the conference to be eligible to submit a paper. Draft papers will be due in MS Word format by Friday, May 5, 2023. Paper submitters must be registered by July 10, 2023 or the paper will not be published in the proceedings.
ASCE INSPIRE 2023 proceedings will be published online. Authors wishing to submit a paper for the proceedings will be required to submit a 6- to 8-page final paper for inclusion in the proceedings. The paper should be in accordance with ASCE paper formatting guidelines. The proceedings will be published and copyrighted by ASCE. It is the author’s responsibility to obtain any necessary permissions or approvals from employers, project owners, or clients prior to submission of the final paper for publication. Material included in your submission from previously published sources, including online sources, may require permission from the copyright holder of that publication or website. It is the author’s responsibility to obtain permission for the reuse of this material and to include the appropriate credit information in the paper.
- January 13, 2023 | Abstract Submission Deadline
- May 5, 2023 | Final Draft Papers Due
- June 14, 2023 | Registration Opens
- June 30, 2023 | Final Papers Due
- July 10, 2023 | Speaker Registration Deadline
- Nov 16–18, 2023 | ASCE INSPIRE 2023